Saturday, February 20, 2010

Dad's Birthday/BEST museum!!!!!

I surprised Dad this morning by taking him to the museum of science and industry! we got there 10 minutes after the museum oppened at 9:30 am, and stayed until 3:45, 15 minutes before it closed. IT.WAS.AMAZING!!!!!

(**let me warn you now that i am completely exausted, so my grammer/spelling may be worse than usual-which is pretty bad lol)

here are the ehibits we saw:
art+science=architexture: basically the worlds largest and tallest buildings, all made out of laegos!
ships: different ships from throughout time! (including pirate ships! :D)
racing cars: from all the way back to the late 1800's! dad was lovin it!
Circus:
lots of fun stuff there!
eye spy: pretty much about 10 or 12 different glass displays built into the walls with life size eye spys! very cool!
U-505 german sub (with specail on board tour!)
Coal mine:
at first i was misserable-id had my foot stepped on, and i was severely claustophobic in there! but i got over both fairly quickly :)
whispering gallery: cool but disapointing....
fast forward: all about the future
out of the vault: old displays from the museums past
navy: replica (oversized) of the uss chicago sub!
yesterday's main street: about 3 or 4 store fronts that were very old fashioned-pretty disapointing though-you couldnt go in!
transporatation gallery/the great train story: the biggest model ive EVER seen!
baby chick hattchery: sooooo cute!!
farm tech: pretty gross actually-we just walked through
and, of course, the gift shops!!
we walked through more than that, but those are the ones we stopped to look at or participate in.

S here are my favorites from those:
Racing Cars: this display had racing cars drom the past 140 years or so. they had a james bond car, an al capone car, (the kind where they break the tiny glass back window and shoot their machine guns through it.) and chitty bang-bang cars, and muuuch more. dad had a great time telling me about them!
Circus: This display had a "magic circus" display: a man spent 33 years (in the early 1900's) and made over 2000 hand carved and painted figurines, and put them all together into an animated circus train. The cars in the train were so realistic and detailed!! it was very cool. they also had the wacky mirrors that distort your relfection, I've never seen my legs that long! Im trying to loose weight, not grow 4 more feet! (lol) also check out the clown pic of me and dad! too funny!
U-505 German Sub U-boat:
We got the extra special on board tour for this exibit! we got to go inside of it and look around and get a guided tour. Dad and I stayed in the back, so I would have a smaller chance of having ky bad foot stepped on. also, this way he could tell me more about the sub without disrupting the tour. The whole exibit gave mee an adrenaline rush (from the loud videos they played of war shows and stuff) and also made me want to cry...it was extremely sad...they had a chart that showed year to year how many merchant ships the german uboats shot down. and sad news reels and newspapers and stuff....the sub itself was both brilliantly designed, and also depressing: the engineering behind it was fantastic and brilliant, but the fact that something like that even has to exist was depressing...but dad loved it, and thats all that counted today :) he had a great time talking to our guide afterwards and talking "submarine shop talk" lol
Coal Mine: this exibit has been in the museum since the 1930's! you literally walk through a coal mine! its dark, loud, and overwhelming. not to mention claustrophobic!! they take you down in a pitch black elevator! then you're walking around an actual coal mine, so its dark, hard to see, crowded, and LOUD!!! but i got over it...we got to ride in this caged cart, kind of like those things in the movies, like indiana jones, same principle, different style of cart.
Whispering Gallery: this exibit was cool, but kinda dissapointing. all it was was a big room with two curved pieces of plastic that you talked into and it echoed. it was cool, but i was just like, "this is it? really?"
Fast Forward:
pretty much just how to invent the future; saw something from the end of BSG, but i cant say because I know kris hasn't finnished it yet and I dont want to ruin it for her :)
Navy: we got into an oversized replica of chicago submarine; when you look through the periscope, you look out onto michigan avenue! very cool :)
Transportation Gallery: Basically the hugest most gigantic train set thingymabobber ive ever seen!
Baby Chicks: SOOOOO cute!!! fluffy and soft and cute :)

The last, and bestest one of all, was Colleen Moore's "Fairy Castle." you guys HAVE to look it up online, its so unbelievably amazing! i spent a good 20 minutes or so just taking dozens of pics! i didnt want to leave! i went down and bought the book about it-its that good :D

Dad and I went to safeway and got cake and ice cream for his bday, and ate dinner and dessert in front of Get Smart :)

Im exausted, so im going to go to bed....pics hopefully will be posted tomorrow! :)

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you liked the museum and that your dad had a good time there. I had forgotten all of the cool stuff that they have there.

    Did you hold any of the chicks?

    The whispering gallery needs to have soeone in front of the dish on the other side of the room for it to work.

    My favorite exhibit is the ping-pong balls that show a Gaussian distribution curve. I was just entranced with that one as a kid. Yeah, I know that my inner geek is showing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you told me all this last night, but it was still good to read through it. You did a good job organizing a lot of material! Can't wait to see the pix.

    BTW, I changed my flickr password, so call me if you want to upload them there for sorting and transfering purposes. [I don't think you really want all 250+ photos on your blog...]

    hugs,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just saw ALL the pictures on facebook - A.W.E.S.0.M.E. !!!!!

    Well done - you took pictures of nearly everything (I think), and it made me feel like I was there with you guys. Looks like you had a lot of fun together. :)
    xoxoxo,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. we had SOOO much fun!! I'm going to try to post the fairy castle pics tonight. (they need a separate album lols)

    ReplyDelete