Friday, February 26, 2010

LAST DAY!!!!!

Sorry I haven't posted in a few days, I've just been sooooooo tried this week! my muscles and entire body is just exhausted! So here's whats been going on:
Tuesday: We had out meal project: we all had to make part of a meal, including prep, cooking, and cleaning. We has so much food! I did not even get a chance to try everything. The counselors were veryy impressed with how much we did! heres what we had:
Me~ shrimp scampi and penne rigate pasta
Jessica~ chocolate cupcakes with creamcheese frosting, with different words on them, like pain, RIC, gym, pool, pt, ot, ect...
David~ pork tenderloin with buns for sandwitches and dutch red pepper mayonaise, and a make-you-own strawberry shortcake kit: desert shells, vanilla bean ice cream, fresh cut strawberries with sugar, (most beautiful strawberries any of us had ever seen!) and canned whipped cream. (They were sooooo good!!!)
Rene~ banana pudding, (which I obvioulsy did not eat lol) and crispy cream glazed doughnuts, (which i also did not eat!) and a 24 pack of 7-up.
Victor~ this amazing fruit salad! it was kinda like a fruit salad soup-he had regular fruits, but he stired them into this cream chese/sweetedned condensed milk mixture, so it was creamy and sweet. delicious! we all loved it so much we made him give us all the recipe!
Suzanne~ a mexican rice and cron dish. it looked and smeeled good, but by the time i got to here dish, i was stuffed!
Norman~ tacos.

Is that everone? i think so...oh well I'll probably remember something later lol.

Wednesday: Nothing much new here....
Thursday: Bad pain day; my rsd foot flared like crazy in the pool yesterday morning, so the preassure and feel of the water all around my bad foot was reallyyyy hurting. But I had a FANTASTIC class yesterday afternoon! Its called "creative movement" and it was a blast! I was really worried going in, cause people were telling us it was like a dance class or something, and i was thinking,"theres NO WAY im going to dance infront of these people!!!" but it turned out to be a very different type of dancing, in fact it was the funest kind iv'e ever experienced! The leader, Deb Dar, who is also our feldenkrais instructor, put on this cool "epic music." thats what teenagers acall it, but guess the best way to explain it would be this: its the kind of music that you hear during the super dramatic and climatic moments in a movie. the kind that gives you chills-haunting and beautiful all at the same time. So she put that on, and tells us we've been on a space ship for many months, and we're just stepping out on to the planet, and discovering there is very little gravity, so what would it be like to try to walk around our first few steps here? the whole thing was based on imagery, based on our group being a team going to another planet billions of lightyears away, and meeting the natives and exoperiencing their world. its was totally Avatar! so we did silly, funky dances, we made a tango line, we did all these different dances! We were all sweating like crazy-it was ALOT of work! but totally work it :) We all told Deb that they needed to put this class in the middle of the program as well, so that people got more than just one class of it. We were all laughing the entire time. THere was one dance, where we're supposed to be pulling the "chains of pain" off of us, and when we do this one move, we have to yell and scream like the hulk. We were the loudest group ever! we were doing it on purpose though: our second week, we were in psychology group, which is right next to the studio, and we hear the group before us yelling a little bit. (they had been doing this creative movement class) so we knew that the group who were in there second week right now, who were also in the next room for psychology group, would be alble to hear us, so we were trying to freak them out a little :P

Dad and I had an interesting evening last night, too. I came home, changed and re did my hair and make up, and rushed back out again. we got to the Hemingway museum at about 5:45, (it took us 45 minutes to make a 20 minute drive! bad traffic. But i learned how to navigat a city map, and we had a great time talking and seeing the outer parts of chicago, even though some of them were pretty scary lol) and parked outside the museum. then we walked about a block and a half to this little greek resteraunt. It was my first time in a greek resteraunt, so I was a litty wary of what it was going to be like, let alone what the heck to order! but their menu was very small, and it explained what everything way in english, so i was good. But everything was in a light tomato sauce, or loaded with dill and garlic. So I went with the safe route-a typica gyro with tomatos, onions, meat, pita bread, and tziki. It. WAS. AMAZING!!! omg I could have just kept eating it! I also got a side dih of "briami," which is veggitables in a light tomato sauce with tones of herbs and spices. I wasn't too crazy about that one. And dad got this dish, whose name i can neither rmember nor pronounce, that was even better than mine! he got this huge piece of lamb, tht was so tender and juicy and flavorful, that all you had to do was lightly poke it with your fork and it just fell right off the bone! it came with these fried potatoes, and it was all covered and smothered in this delicious sauce! We were very impredded. However, 3 pieces of "five" gum later, and I could STILL taste the dill and garlic from the meat and tziki lol.

At the hemingway museum, everyone wanted to meet dad, and a few of them insisted on him signing john's book! (we were there to meet a relative, john hemingway, who had written a book about his father, gregory, and his grandfather, ernest hemingway.) When I met john, he was very nice, but he really hurt me! when he shook my hand...omg he has the strongest handshake I have ever felt! it pretty much felt like he was crushing my right hand! i caould barely use it the entire rest of the night. I went up to the lobby and propped my bad foot up before the talk even began, so that I wouldnt look rude for leaveing, because I knew iwas going to have to leave anyway. so I sat up there for an hour and a half, then waited another hour while everyone talked to dad. But I had hit a wall about 8:30, so I waited an hour and a half before we got to leave. Dad had told me that if i needed to leave, to text him and we could leave. But I could really tell he was enjoying himself, and he's done SOOO much forme this past month, i figured the least I could do was suck it up for a few hours so he could do this. And he was very happy, so it was very worth it :) Personally, I found the museum kinda boring, but dad had a blast :)

I came home, and just crashed. I went strait to bed-no homework, no calling mom or luke or lauriee or alette, just straight to bed.

This morning, I had to get up at 5:30 to shwer, since I couldnt last night. I dont know what it was, but this morning the city was absolutely gorgeous! the sunlight was hitting it just right and made it beautiful :) (or maybe its just cause its my last time walking to ric? ... :P)

Well, time to go to the gym!

3 comments:

  1. Katie,

    That meal you described sounded so delicious, did you have your own recipe? or is it a family secret? And the final dance class sounded wonderful. I like your suggestion that it would have been helpful to have more of that class, I am wondering why they don't have it once a week for the whole month!

    I loved your so very mature attitude about sucking up the pain so that your Dad could enjoy himself at the Hemingway museum since he has done so much for you ( and of course, your mom has too). That attitude will get you so far in life!


    I hope that you enjoy the final few hours in Chicago, not sure if you got the same wet snow that NYC has, but now I have to go out and brush/scrape/cuss out the wet snow on the top of the convertible, which was already sagging went I removed all the snow last night before I went to bed.

    I can't remember a year when the NYC schools has so many snow days, but the laughter of the kids sledding in Riverside Park is the best music to accompany my shoveling.

    Hope you and your Dad have a safe trip home.

    Big hug,

    Aunt Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Aunt Chris!! Yeah, we've gotten quite a bit of snow, but half of it didn't stick, and the other half only added up to about 2 or 3" at the most, and is half melted already. We got extremely luck in that we haven't had to shovel-the hotel does! (there isn't that much to shovel anyways though.)

    Good luck with the convertible, hope it survives the snow! And thank you again for all these lovely comments :)

    Love, Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Katie-Kakes ~
    YOU DID IT!!!!! Way to go! Now get on home, you two!

    To everyone else: A big thank you to all the family and friends who have been following the blog and commenting (or not). We know you're out there, and the whole family appreciates the support, well wishes and prayers. This has been a very successful month for all of us, difficult though it was at times. [Be Warned: ONE MORE blizzard, and Anna and I are heading to Florida - very, very southern Florida. Or Mexico, maybe...]

    I saw a flock of Robins and a huge rabbit in the yard this week. That has to be good, right?

    hugs,
    Mom/Margie

    ReplyDelete